- 2 tablespoons grated lemongrass
- 2 stalks lemongrass, (pounded)
- 1 1/2 lbs small chicken wings, party wings
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- Use a grater such as Microplane to grate the white part of the lemongrass, about 2 tablespoons. Keep the rest of the lemongrass and cut into 4-inch length, use the back of a knife to pound and smash the lemongrass to release its aroma and flavor.
- Rinse the chicken wings with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Transfer the wings to a big Ziploc bag and add all the ingredients inside. Combine everything well and make sure that the wings are nicely coated with the fish sauce and lemongrass mixture. Let marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Fire up the grill the next day. Grill the wings until they turn golden brown and nicely charred on both sides. Serve immediately.
If you have more chicken wings, you don’t have to increase the ratio of the fish sauce exactly. Fish sauce is salty so use your best judgment. If you bake these wings, preheat the oven to 350F or 180C and bake until the surface turned brown. Then broil for 1-2 minutes to char the surface.
- 30 pieces of chicken wings (I use 15 drumettes and 15 mid sections)
- Marinating sauce
- 100 gram shallot
- 3 lemongrass, white part only
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind + 4 tablespoon water, strained
- 50 ml water
- Puree marinating sauce ingredients with a blender or a food processor into a smooth paste.
- Combine chicken wings and marinating sauce and let rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours, overnight is best.
- Option 1: Stovetop. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a cast-iron grill pan/skillet over medium-high heat, then cook the chicken wings until slightly charred. About 5 minutes per side.
- Option 2: Charcoal grill. Get your charcoal grill to operate on high heat. Cook each side of the chicken wings until slightly charred, about 5 minutes per side.
- Option 3: Oven. Preheat the oven to 220 Celsius/425 Fahrenheit, place a wire rack over a baking sheet, arrange the wings on the rack and bake for 30 minutes, flip as needed.