A few general healthy eating tips to keep in mind:
- Eat at regular times
- Eat smaller meals more frequently
- Eat slowly (Pause between bites, chew more slowly)
- Don’t worry about cleaning your plate, start with smaller portions instead
- Change your environment
- Eat with others
- Create a calm environment. (Less distractions = More mindful eating)
- Choose nourishing foods that you truly enjoy
These are just a few ways to make your eating more rewarding and healthy!
Eating the Right Amount
- Eat only when you’re hungry. Listen to your body’s hunger cues and try not eat for other reasons like boredom or sadness. Enlist simple distractions to resist this urge.
- But don’t wait until you’re very hungry. If you do, you’re likely to make unhealthy choices or overeat.
- Portion out your food instead of eating out of a large bowl or bag. This will help greatly with portion control and calorie counting.
- Use small plates and single-serving packs as a guide.
- Be mindful — focus on the way your food tastes, smells, looks and even sounds! You’ll feel more satisfied with your meal when you make that the priority (i.e. no multi-tasking – reading, watching TV, driving, etc. ☺)
- Eat Slowly. This gives your brain a chance to get the message that you are actually full.
- Stop when you feel full. Eating slowly and taking time to pause between bites gives your brain a chance to get the message that you are full. So give it time, this will help you not to overeat.